What Is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a tasteless, colorless, and odorless gas. It is produced by appliances and other devices that generate combustion fumes, such as those that burn gas or other petroleum products, wood, and other fuels. The danger occurs when too much carbon monoxide accumulates in a contained, poorly ventilated space. As aforementioned, it is colors, odorless, and tasteless, which means it would be near impossible to know you’re being exposed to it unless you have the right equipment.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is an illness that occurs when someone is exposed to high amounts of carbon monoxide. Too much carbon monoxide in the air you breathe can greatly diminish your ability to absorb oxygen, leading to serious tissue damage. Although the signs can be subtle, the condition is a life-threatening medical emergency. Get immediate care for anyone who may have carbon monoxide poisoning.
What Causes Most CO Poisonings?
Faulty furnaces and motor vehicles are responsible for most carbon monoxide deaths and poisonings in the United States. Most unintentional carbon monoxide poisonings occur in residential homes and are most likely to occur during the fall and winter months.