Carbon Monoxide Safety


Key Facts About Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide poisoning is an illness caused by exposure to too much carbon monoxide – a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. Too much carbon monoxide in the air you breathe can greatly diminish your ability to absorb oxygen, leading to serious tissue damage. Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to death.

Carbon monoxide is produced by appliances and other devices that generate combustion fumes, such as those that burn gas or other petroleum products, wood and other fuels. The danger occurs when too much carbon monoxide accumulates in a contained, poorly ventilated space.

Although the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning can be subtle, the condition is a life-threatening medical emergency. Get immediate care for anyone who may have carbon monoxide poisoning.

What Is It?

CO is a by-product that results from the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels.

What Causes Most of CO Poisonings?

Faulty furnaces and motor vehicles are responsible for most CO deaths and poisonings in the U.S.

Where Do Most CO poisonings occur?

Most unintentional poisonings occur in residential homes.

When Are CO Poisonings most likely to happen?

CO poisonings are most likely to occur during the fall and winter months.